Client Service Associate
Position Summary: Client Service Associates perform clerical duties related to animal patient care and treatment, including performing record keeping duties and providing miscellaneous support to the management team and staff. This position requires practical knowledge of hospital organization and services, the basic rules governing visitors and animal patient treatment, data entry, word processing, payment processing, and a practical knowledge of the standard procedures, veterinary records, and terminology used in the hospital. They provide friendly and compassionate service to our clients whether they are checking a pet in for boarding, coming for a doctor’s appointment, buying products, or here due to an emergency.
Position Duties and Responsibilities:
- Open the practice and set up for the morning as directed.
- Close the practice for the evening as directed.
- Clean and straighten the public areas of the practice, including the front desk, reception area, waiting area, and office.
- Welcome clients and patients to the practice and provide for their comfort while they are in the practice. This includes greeting clients, offering refreshments, showing them the waiting area, etc.
- Answer incoming telephone calls utilizing proper telephone etiquette. Provide knowledgeable sub-professional advice concerning questions regarding hospital services and fees in accordance with hospital policies. Appropriately direct other questions and communication to a veterinarian, manager, or other staff members.
- Prepare to receive appointments by retrieving client records and preparing needed forms in advance of clients’ arrival. Complete required forms such as New Client Forms, Consent Forms, etc. and obtain all necessary information.
- Handle emergency situations, remaining calm while showing compassion. Determine nature of injury/illness and attempt to reassure distressed pet owners.
- Follow hospital policies regarding patient admittance. Determine whether vaccinations/tests are current. Recommend update of necessary vaccinations/tests to clients.
- Notify veterinarians of patient arrival. Relay all necessary information to the veterinarians and technicians.
- Discharge patients which may include entering additional charges into the computer, and reviewing any discharge instructions and medications.
- Present clients with medications, instructions, new client kits, and any other items to take home.
- Review the services that were rendered to the pet (verbally itemize the client invoice) and inform client of the total amount due. Assure that owners meet all financial obligations or that acceptable arrangements have been made.
- Accept payments from the client. Accurately process cash, checks, charge card payments, and credit account payments.
- Schedule appointments in Cornerstone for the hospital after obtaining all necessary data concerning the patient and client. Prepare all required paperwork.
- Perform over the counter selling of pet foods and supplies. Exercise a technical knowledge of products sold. Confirm prescriptions for all prescription diet foods sold.
- Enter data into the computer system as required. Retrieve and modify stored records. Assist in updating client/patient files as needed including name, address, telephone number, vaccination, and medical history fields.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Performance Measurements: Performance will be evaluated at the end of the initial 90 day probationary period. Performance will also be assessed after the completion of six months of employment as well as annually from the date of hire. Performance will be evaluated based upon the following: attendance, punctuality, dependability, job performance, client care, teamwork, and progress of job knowledge.
Working Conditions: Client Service Associates must be able to be on their feet for long periods of time. Work often exposes Client Service Associates to unpleasant odors and noises. May be exposed to bites, scratches, and animal waste; may also be exposed to contagious diseases.
Physical Requirements: Client Service Associates must be capable of handling small and large animals without risk of harm to themselves, other employees, clients, or the pet.
Minimum Position Qualifications:
- Education: High School Diploma or GED equivalent
- Experience: Prior experience is preferred but not required.
- Certifications/Licenses: N/A
- Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of hospital procedures and operating instructions for making appointments, assembling patient medical records, recording test results, relaying information regarding patients’ conditions, and compiling and submitting data on patients treated is required.
- Personal contacts are with visitors, other staff members, and clients affected by a variety of problems. Considerable tact and diplomacy is required. Must accurately relay owner’s account on the medical complaint(s) of the animal(s) involved to the staff members who will be involved in treating the patient(s).
- Knowledge of the spelling and meaning of commonly used terminology of veterinary medicine to accurately record results of tests and file veterinary medical reports according to alpha, numeric, or subject matter headings.
- Basic computer skills required.
Availability Needs: Client Service Associates must be available between 6:30 am-11:00pm Sunday through Saturday. Full time and part time position availability requirements may vary.
Reports To: Client Services Department Manager
Positions Supervised: None
Background Checks: Employment in this position is contingent upon successfully passing a background and criminal history check.
Drug Tests: Animal Medical Hospital is a Drug Free Workplace. All potential employees must submit and pass a pre-placement drug test.