Position Summary: The purpose of this position is to provide care, grooming, and basic needs to animals who are being groomed and boarded.
Position Duties and Responsibilities:
- Observe animal appearance and activity for general physical condition, obvious signs of illness, disease, and discontent.
- Take charge and handle animals; as required, restrain hard to control animals.
- Admit pets to be groomed noting owner’s specific instructions and pick up time.
- Perform grooming services, including clipping nails, hand scissoring, medicated and general cleansing, parasite control baths, pedicures, medicated dips, and ear cleansing, as required for each pet.
- Provide care for animals housed/visiting the hospital. Perform work according to established methods specified in the hospital protocol manual or following special instructions. Report signs of illness, disease, injury, or unusual activity to veterinary technicians or veterinarians.
- Perform all general maintenance of grooming room. Clean cages, tubs, and grooming tables at least once daily. Vacuum floor, empty trash daily. Clean clipper blades, scissors, and brushes after use. Perform monthly dryer and clipper maintenance.
- Groom animals utilizing techniques which vary depending on type of hair, coat, breed, and owner instructions. Bathe and dry animals. Perform pedicures and clean ears.
- Recommend retail products that would aid in home grooming care of pets as required.
Performance Measurements: Performance will be evaluated at the end of the initial 90 day probationary period. Performance will also be assessed after the completion of six months of employment as well as annually from the date of hire. Performance will be evaluated based upon the following: attendance, punctuality, dependability, job performance, client care, teamwork, and progress of job knowledge.
Working Conditions: Groomers must be able to be on their feet for long periods of time. Work often exposes Groomers to unpleasant odors and noises. May be exposed to bites, scratches, and animal waste; may also be exposed to contagious diseases.
Physical Requirements: Groomers must be capable of handling small and large animals without risk of harm to themselves, other employees, clients, or the pet. Groomers must be able to lift up to 40 pounds and withstand repeated bending and lifting.
Minimum Position Qualifications:
- Education: High School Diploma or GED equivalent is preferred but not required.
- Experience: Prior experience is required.
- Certifications/Licenses: Grooming certification is a plus
- Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Apply knowledge and skills in controlling/handling individual animal temperament.
- Have ability to gain animal confidence when restraining them for grooming.
- Knowledge of grooming practices for a wide range of small animals, including hand-scissoring skills.
- Possess above average client service skills.
Availability Needs: Groomers must be available between 7:00am-4:00pm Tuesday through Saturday. Full time and part time position availability requirements may vary.
Reports To: Pet Resort Manager
Background Checks: Employment in this position is contingent upon successfully passing a background and criminal history check.
Drug Tests: Animal Medical Hospital is a Drug Free Workplace. All potential employees must submit and pass a pre-placement drug test.